Here is my entry to 📷 Round 2019-05 of #diaspoRAW 📸
First let me thank again @Holy Noise
for hosting this round of #diaspoRAW
. From the beginning it was my intention to include other photographers and I am happy that @Holy Noise
has agreed to make one of his pictures available for all of us to play.
This time I used ON1 Photo RAW 2018 to develop this month's RAW picture. I bought Photo RAW when I searched for an alternative to Lightroom. ON1 Photo RAW 2018 is feature rich and looks promising but feels very sluggish even on my notebook with i7-6700HQ CPU and 12 GB RAM thus I don’t use it often. When I use it my results are usually more experimental compared to my results with Lightroom and Capture One for Sony.
The motiv of @Holy Noise
's picture was challenging for me. That artwork looks interesting but at the same time it feels a bit lost in the surrounding. Is there a story of “the artwork and the bird”? IMHO the bird was too inconspicuous for this. I decided to concentrate only on the artwork. For me it looks like some alien structure that just has landed in one of our cities and now is breaking free from its spaceship made out of concrete
I started development with a minor crop to zoom in and some quick tone and color adjustments. Then I "removed" the bird and "sowed" new grass. After that I switched into ON1’s Effects module. Next step was to convert into b/w to make the surrounding environment less prominent. Added a big softy vignette centered on the artwork to direct attention towards it. Now on to the concrete cover. It needs way more cracks to tell my story so I added a "Grunge texture" giving me those cracks with a mask on the concrete. Some Dynamic Contrast enhances the concrete even more. Applied a slight yellow toning of the shadows. Finally the treatment of the outbursting alien structure. A masked "Warm Composite Wall" texture gives it a strange golden glow.
That's it. I name it "Structural Outburst" See the announcement for #diaspoRAW-2019-05 for more informations about #diaspoRAW and how to participate…
* The original RAW picture has been created by @Holy Noise
, who is also the copyright owner.
* The original RAW picture is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
* The original RAW picture can be found at https://nextcloud.webo.hosting/s/qX57YoYn7jQ4fqS
* This picture was developed from the original RAW picture and is distributed under the same license as the original RAW picture.
* NOTE: no additional legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits may be applied to this picture.